About Me

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
A woodworker whom saws to the plane of a different hammer.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Refinishing An Old Banister

Soon I will be refinishing some steps in the rectory of a very old German parish. Refinishing the steps is just par for course in floor refinishing, but along with those steps I will be refinishing the banister/hand rail and the spindles.
I'm really looking forward to that part of the project. It will be a tedious job involving some power sanding, hand sanding and the use of chemical strippers to get the old finish out of the moldings, but I'm looking forward to accomplishing the end product.
I strongly suspect that there are various species of wood involved, so a gel stain will be required for uniformity in color.
In addition to that I may even apply a dye first to obtain a more uniform base too.
I'll have to see what's what before I make a final decision on that though.
I will post pictures of the project, so stay tuned!


wwww.dogwoodtales.com

No comments:

Post a Comment